Thursday 6 April 2017

The Ground of Prayer (Part One): Why We Come.

I Pray because...
So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. (Luke 11:2, NKJV)
My mind goes to a quote I read a long time ago, which read thus,
“We don’t pray to have a relationship with God; we pray because we have a relationship with God.”
I can’t even remember the author, but this has stuck with me for close to three (3) decades. I read this at one of those low points in my life. I was going through a “rough patch.” God seemingly had not come through for me, and there was no strength, motivation, or willingness to pray. The quote gave me a rude awakening to the truth: I don’t pray because I feel like it or not. 

I don’t pray because I have a testimony or not. I don’t pray because I have a need or not. I don’t pray because someone told me to or not. I don’t pray to fulfill any religious obligation or not. I don’t pray to feel good or check the box. I don’t pray to "add another feather to my cap." I don’t pray to allay fear. Why then do I pray? Why then do you pray? If there is only one reason I pray,

It is because “I AM BORN OF HIM.” 

It is because “I AM ONE WITH THE FATHER.” 

It is because “I HAVE A CONNECTION WITH HIM.” 

It is because “I HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.” 

It is because “I HAVE ACCESS TO THE THRONE ROOM.”

It is because “I CAN’T BUT PRAY; I CAN’T BUT TALK TO MY FATHER.” 

It is because “THERE IS A NATURAL CRY OF A SON TO HIS FATHER ON THE INSIDE OF ME.”

Why do you pray? What are your own "because?"
“WE DO NOT PRAY TO HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. WE PRAY BECAUSE WE HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.”
There is a son-ship cry on the inside of us, crying out, “ABBA, FATHER!” [Galatians 4:6-7; Romans 8:15] Let us give voice to it. Let us allow it to flow. Let us allow it to flow forth. 
“ABBA, FATHER!” “ABBA, FATHER!” “ABBA, FATHER!”
The prodigal son understood this, so he said, 
“I WILL ARISE AND GO TO MY FATHER….” (Luke 15:18a)
Note: The prodigal son [Luke 15:17-19] did not say, "I will go to the father?" He said, "I will go to MY father. Note the relationship quotient. He did not go on the platform of his own worthiness. No, no, no. He came on the weight of who the Father is and "whose he is."

What about you? Why do you come to God in prayers? Do you suppose you have a right in your own power and qualification? Do you think you have done enough to come? Or, do you come because of who the Father is and all He has done?
"Pray to be taught to pray. Do not be content with old forms that flow from the lips only. Most Christians have need to cast their formal prayers away, to be taught to cry, Abba." (Robert Murray McCheyne)
Scriptures for Further Study: 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 4:14-16; Luke 18:9-14

© 2014 Akin Akinbodunse


Link to Study Series:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon

Adsense Footer

Adsense Code Link